People don’t always think, before we speak. Some of us don’t always listen, when we hear. Most of us stop both thinking and listening, once a certain turn of phrase reaches our ears.
These are a few expressions to avoid — unless you WANT to start an argument or take a civil conversation to a different level.
- Don’t take this the wrong way.
- Now, don’t get upset.
- I hate to be the one to tell you this.
- Not to take anything away from you, but…
- We can be honest with each other, right?
- I’m telling you this as a friend.
- We have to talk.
- If you asked me…
- Let me explain something to you.
- Not to be ignorant or anything, but…
- You know what your problem is?
- I know you worked hard on this…
- Don’t take this personally.
- To tell you the truth…
- Let me see if I’ve got this right.
- It goes without saying… “