OsgoodePD continues to bring paralegal scope practice to life, with its content-rich courses geared to our needs. The newest course provides two days of essentials related to Small Claims Court.
Small Claims: Essential Law, Winning Strategies runs Friday, April 1 and Saturday, April 2, in downtown Toronto. Participants can attend in person or over the web.
Chaired by Deputy Judge Beverley Martel and paralegal Fredrick Goodman, and featuring an expert faculty of Deputy Judges, lawyers and paralegals, this program will provide you with up-to-date guidance on the law, effective approaches to practice, ethical and professional issues, and even the business side of successful Small Claims practice.
Developed with paralegals in mind, topics include:
- Right from the beginning: effective written advocacy in Small Claims
- Settlement conferences: recipes for success before trial
- Motions/default and interlocutory proceedings
- Conducting the trial
- Enforcing your judgment, with or without a contempt hearing
- Ethical and professional issues in Small Claims practice
- Particular actions in Small Claims – a checklist of essential background information for actions in wrongful dismissal, insurance-related claims or professional negligence
- How to make a Small-Claims practice cost-effective and profitable
- Effective Small Claims advocacy—demonstration and commentary
Check Paralegal Scope Magazine for program updates and information from Osgoode PD, a proud Paralegal Scope sponsor.