* Updated – Long-Term Care Action Line Available

Hello, Referral service?

Hello, Action Line?

An action line set up by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care will take concerns and complaints from people who receive service from Long-Term Care Homes and Community Care Access Centres (CCAC).

Callers have the option of speaking to an Independent Complaints Facilitator (ICF). Trained facilitators are located throughout the province and will respond to people with concerns, by telephone, within 10 business days.

The Long-Term Care action line and ICF process are in addition to the existing formal CCAC complaints process. CCACs are still responsible for working with their clients to resolve issues.

CCAC services help to connect people with the care they need, at home or in the community. Fourteen CCACs in communities across the province are funded by Local Health Integration Networks, through the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Their services are covered by OHIP.

The action line is open seven days a week, from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., toll-free at: 1-866-434-0144.

The Ministry has also produced action-line fact sheets in 19 languages.

The law requires that anyone who knows or has reasonable grounds to suspect that a resident has been, or might be, harmed, must report. This includes:

    • Improper or incompetent treatment or care
    • Abuse of a resident by anyone
    • Neglect of a resident by a staff member or the owner of the home
    • Illegal conduct
    • Misuse or fraud involving a resident’s money
    • Misuse or fraud involving funding provided by the government to the home (long-term care homes only)

If the victim lives in a long-term care home, the abuse must be reported to the Director at the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Call the toll-free ACTION Line at 1-866-434-0144.

If the victim lives in a retirement home, the abuse must be reported to the Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority. Call 1-855-275-7472.


What are the rules for reporting abuse? Resources from Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO).

The Law Commission of Ontario has produced reports and made recommendations regarding older adult issues. The LCO’s “Framework for the Law as it Affects Older Adults” can be of assistance to anyone who develops, interprets, implements or assesses laws, policies or practices that may affect older persons:

Find a local Community Care Access Centre.

Long-term care options.

%d bloggers like this: