A collection of news and information from around the legal world, these articles are selected from reliable sources, and for their relevance to the profession.
Enter terms in the search box to access more SCOPE articles and links to resources on topics that are important to legal services providers.
- New trial ordered after appeal court finds lawyer incompetent; did not read file, “ignorant” of criminal laws
- Charged with murder, man sues municipality, landscapers and the bar that served him the night of a fatal Leamington crash
- Supreme Court split on how to balance religious freedom and the need to follow the secular law — finds in favour of Quebec Catholic school
- Washington’s first licensed paralegals (Limited License Legal Technicians) could start taking clients this summer
- Foreign workers in Canada tripled between 2002 and 2012
- What if an employer discovers facts that might give just cause to dismiss after severance agreement exists?
- Toronto library “Law at the Library” series – public legal information events start April 1
- Hero or bully? Anti-WSIB crusader fighting peace bond over Facebook comments
- FNX Mining Company Inc. and one of its supervisors at the Craig Mine in Sudbury fined $88,000; workers exposed to hazard
- Halton Recycling Ltd., operating as Emterra Environmental, has pleaded guilty and has been fined $225,000 in the death of a worker
- Who is a supervisor? Ministry of Labour update
- Failing to remediate contaminated land is not a “nuisance” in tort, ONCA finds: “flexibility of the common law has limits”
- Province looks to debit cards for ODSP, OW recipients
- Go Seneca! 2015 Osgoode Cup mooting results
- What do you think of this e-book for Landlord & Tenant Act? Legal Information expert wants paralegal feedback