Why “X” CATHY CORSETTI for Re-election?
I understand clearly what the role requires, and what it takes to expand and promote the paralegal profession. It was a privilege to be elected in 2010 and to chair the Paralegal Standing Committee (PSC). I want to continue to represent paralegals and be a strong voice.
During my first term as chair, I cultivated positive working relationships with benchers, stakeholders and Law Society staff. Through these relationships, I have accomplished a great deal.
I was instrumental in developing and presenting the Five-Year Review for the Attorney General. Under my leadership, paralegals have been included in the Member Assistance Program (MAP) and the Law Society Referral Service (LSRS). We introduced the Distinguished Paralegal Award, and New Paralegal Reception.
Paralegals have become Commissioners of Oaths, by virtue of office. The Law Society Act and Solicitors Act have been amended. I was instrumental in the implementation of a substantive licensing exam, which will commence in 2015.
In my 37-year career as a paralegal, I have earned a record of success. But this is only the beginning. This is why I seek re-election. With your support, I will be re-elected in March 2014 and build on these Standing Committee successes.
When re-elected, the following issues will continue to be my priorities:
- Review the scope of paralegal practice, while enhancing education requirements essential to support expansion
- Examine licensing exemptions, looking to reduce the exemptions as set out in By-law 4
- Improve the reputation of the profession, through strengthening educational requirements and increasing public awareness
- Promote mentoring for new licensees
- Work with the Attorney General’s office to amend more legislation, to include paralegals, many are Convocation approved
- Reach out to paralegals outside the GTA and keep all paralegals informed of the PSC’s accomplishments
- Promote the role of paralegals in the legal community, including
- Encourage efficient regulation, to ensure stable annual fees
Learn more about why it is important that my work on PSC continue:
http://www.corsetti.ca | twitter @cathycorsetti | Facebook-CorsettiParalegal http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/cathy-corsetti/13/a55/198/
Election Page: CMB
Return to Meet the Candidates Page